1. What is the story behind the Adirondack
Wendee and I wanted to start an informal observing retreat in the
Adirondack mountains that would either precede or follow Stellafane,
and allow for a low-pressure, fun observing experience in one of the
few dark areas left in the northeastern U.S. The site, Twin Valleys
Camp of the State University of New York at Plattsburgh, is rustic
and beautiful. David spent three memorable summers there when he was
a teenager-- 1964, 1965, and 1966.
2. Does the camp have its own
How to get there from Interstate 87:
3. How do I get there?
- Take Exit 32
- turn right from Interstate 87S
- turn left from Interstate 87N.
- Travel 0.4 miles to a gas station.
- Turn left onto an asphalt road (you will go by a diner on the
- Travel 1.1 miles and turn left.
- Bear to the right and travel 2.3 miles pass under Interstate
- Travel 1.8 miles and turn left.
- Travel 0.3 miles and turn left and continue on dirt road "Twin
Valleys Lane" to Twin Valleys.
Think RUSTIC! There are cabins that offer camper cots, a single
light bulb. There are shower and Bathroom facilities are in the main
4. What are the accommodations like?
However, if you want to stay in a hotel, Plattsburgh is only about 40
miles away along 87.
You can find out all the details of your stay in this document
(.doc). It gives etiquette rules, describes the amenities, lists
what you should bring, all sort of useful stuff to make your stay
5. What is the stay like?
Sorry, no. The rates are mainly to cover our usage of the camp.
6. If I stay in a hotel, are the rates
Because last year the group felt that that this is a retreat, for
rest, relaxation, conversation, and observing. So this year we
lightened up on the talk schedule.
7. Why aren't there more lectures scheduled?
8. Are children welcome?
YES! But no baby sitting services.
Sorry, no pets by rule of the camp.
9. Are pets welcome?
That is part of the purpose of this retreat. It is our chance to
meet fellow astronomy enthusiasts informally.
10. Will there be a chance to get to know
David and Wendee Levy?
The food is catered, and we found it excellent!
11. Is the food good?